Grissom Elementary School
3201 S. Macedonia Avenue
Muncie, In 47302
(765) 747-5401 Fax: (765) 751-0634
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Dear Parents and Guardians,
In accordance with Indiana’s approved Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility Wavier, each school and school district must demonstrate adequate annual progress within three areas: Annual State Assessment Proficiency (ISTEP+ and ECA) Goals, Annual College and Career Readiness (CCR) Rate Goals, and Annual Graduation Rate Goals. Title I schools that do not meet expectations for particular subgroups within the three areas will be identified as Focus-Targeted schools. Focus-Targeted schools have earned an A, B, or C, but have not met Annual Measurable Objective (AMO) proficiency goals for 2013-2014 in the traditional NCLB subgroups included in the ESEA Flexibility Waiver (i.e., Ethnicity, Special Education, Limited English Proficiency, and Free/Reduced Lunch).
For the 2013-2014 school year, Grissom Elementary has been identified as a Focus-Targeted school.
This year our school has been designated as Focus-Targeted based on data posted on the IDOE website. SY 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 Focus-Targeted schools can be found here: http://www.doe.in.gov/titlei
WHY IS MY SCHOOL IDENTIFIED AS FOCUS-TARGETED?
- Our school did not make AMO proficiency goals for the following subgroup(s): White-ELA, All Students-ELA, White-Math, and All Students-Math.
WHAT IS MY SCHOOL DOING TO ADDRESS MY STUDENT’S NEEDS?
- The school will develop a plan that meets the needs of all students.
- This plan will include additional focused areas of service for the following subgroup(s): White-ELA, All Students-ELA, White-Math, and All Students-Math.
- This plan may include resources such as: Professional development for staff, intervention focused on individual student needs, assessments to target areas of need and monitor progress, and Success Time consisting of tutorial, maintenance and enrichment groups.
WHAT CAN PARENTS DO?
- Be sure that your child attends school every day.
- Volunteer in your child’s class; attend parent meetings and family nights.
- Parents are needed to review our Title I parent policy and compacts, as well as our school improvement plan.
Muncie Community Schools and The Indiana Department of Education are dedicated to supporting schools and providing technical assistance. If you have any questions or would like more information, please call Dea Moore-Young at 765-747-5401. We will be happy to assist you.